The Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program (SSG Fox SPGP) enables VA to provide resources toward community-based suicide prevention efforts to meet the needs of Veterans and their families through outreach, suicide prevention services, and connection to VA and community resources.
SSG Fox SPGP honors Veteran Parker Gordon Fox, who joined the Army in 2014 and was a sniper instructor at the U.S. Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia. Known for a life of generosity and kindness to others in need, Fox died by suicide on July 21, 2020, at the age of 25.
Valley-Wide Health Systems is working with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to prevent Veteran suicides in the Arkansas and San Luis Valley.
If you, or a Veteran or military family member is experiencing difficulties, trauma-related symptoms, or needs emotional or mental health support, we’re here to help.
Services We Provide
- Needs Assessment
- Coordination of supportive services based on the administered Needs Assessment.
- Individualized Service Plan
- Development and monitoring of an Individualized Service Plan (IDP).
- Connect to Services
- Connection to VA and non-VA suicide prevention services
- Referrals to community resources, activities, and peer support specialists.
- Providing educational material on recognizing suicidal thinking and lethal means safety.
- Emergent Needs Assist
- Connection to services for transportation, income support, child care, and more
Who is Eligible?
- Served in active military
- A discharged veteran or active duty member-cannot be dishonorably discharged, or dismissed by reason of court-martial.
- Mental health and well-being screening to verify some risk factors for suicide.
- At Risk
- Score at least a low risk on the Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS) Form.
If you are located in the Arkansas Valley, contact Brad Roe, US Navy Veteran, 719-469-3676.
If you are located in the San Luis Valley, contact Craig Rauwolf, US Army Veteran, 719-587-1006.
Learn more about the SSG Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program at https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/ssgfox-grants/